about GREAT FUTURES
Boys & Girls Club of Sierra Vista stands ready to do more for our community and kids. That's why we are launching Great Futures: The Campaign for Sierra Vista's youth. An unprecedented initiative with two primary goals:
1. Redefine the opportunity equation:
SCHOOL + OUT-OF-SCHOOL = GREAT FUTURES
2. Empower your local Club to serve more members, more often.
Donate today to Open the Door for Sierra Vista's Kids. Click on the "donate" button on top of this page or the link at the bottom to make your much-appreciated contrubution.
THE ROLE OF OUR CLUB: when school's out, THE CLUB IS IN
For more than 20 years, the Boys & Girls Club of Sierra Vista has changed and saved young lives during the out-of-school time. We want every child in Sierra Vista to be in a safe, constructive environment when they are not at home or in school. We provide that safe haven for over 600 youth locally and nearly 4 million youth nationally every year; in our community, there are thousands more who need it, and we can't do it alone.
help us serve our community
* 28% of 600+ youth we serve live at or below the federal poverty level and 46%, nearly half, qualify for free or reduced lunch at school.
* Reports indicate that in the Sierra Vista community, in 2008, 194 children were placed in foster care and, in 2009, 888 reports of child abuse and neglect were filed.
* In a community of fewer than 50,000 people, approximately 10,000 are younger than 18.
out-of-school A CRITICAL TIME
* 15 million kids (1 out of 4) leave school every day with no place to go. They risk being unsupervised, unguided and unsafe.
* Each summer, 43 million kids lack access to summer learning programs. Underserved children from low-income communities experience a dramatic learning loss and begin their next school year at a significant disadvantage.
* Research shows that what happens during out of school time can have a significant impact on reversing the negative trends facing our youth and our country, specifically youth dropout rates, obesity and violence.
* These hours serve as the essential link between school and home, offering the greatest opportunity to influence the future of our kids, our communities and our country.
* We seek to ensure that all kids, especially those who need us most, have a positive and enriching experience when the school bell rings, putting them on the path to success.